Username: Password:

Author Topic: EMA1 and EMA2 settings?  (Read 9740 times)

Offline tammons

• Rookie
    • View Profile
EMA1 and EMA2 settings?
« on: November 18, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »
When I got gunbot, the EMA1 and EMA2 settings were preset.
EMA1 was preset to 24 and EMA2 to 12.
The manual says this is correct.

Now, I am reading on the internet about gunbot EMA1 and 2 settings. I think it was a blurb from Gunther.
Says EMA 2 should be twice as high as EMA1, or exactly opposite of how it came preset.

I am now running GB as it came, with the factory EMA settings. Is this the wrong sequence?

Can someone please tell me the correct way to set the EMA1 and 2 since I am reading conflicting info?

Thanks

Offline tammons

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: EMA1 and EMA2 settings?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »
Okay, here is what I read that was confusing. At first he states the EMA1 number should be the higher number, but then down in the text he states the reverse. I am not sure if this is an error or if he is actually saying to reverse the EMA 1 and 2 settings.

What I am trying to figure out is should the EMA1 always be higher and EMA2 lower, or for short duration trading should they be reversed?

The confusion cam from here.
https://github.com/GuntharDeNiro/BTCT/wiki/How-To-Profit

>
EMA1 and EMA2 are kinda of a weighted average of price and quantity. Literally, it is Exponential Moving Average. The number 1 and the number 2 on the side of EMA, indicate 2 different periods of calculations. Usually, EMA1 is calculated on longer periods and EMA2 on shorter periods. It indicates the average moving (up or down) of the latest prices calculated in the defined time. I suggest you set EMA1 to 2 hours and EMA2 to 4 hours if you want recurring trades in one hour or higher (4 to 8 hours or 6 to 12 hours) if you are fine with fewer trades per hour/day. Next: when to buy? When to sell? Ok, this is the answer: there is a space between EMA1 and EMA2 (sometimes there is not and they run like they were equals). Every price below the bottom of EMA1 and EMA2 is a time to buy. Every price above the top of EMA1 and EMA2 is a time to sell. So: let's use some new colors now: yellow to buy and azure to sell. The graphic above would become like this:

Offline joeanucha

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 02:52:18 AM »
I hope someone would help answer this. I think many people are confused too. Nobody really knows for sure how much EMA1 and EMA2 matter.

Offline CriptoTradingbot

• Rookie
  • Ingeniero informático y Apasionado de los Negocios
    • View Profile
    • Gunbot Trading Bitcoin | Bot Trading Bitcoin
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:15:15 AM »
Hi, when I started working with Gunbot with the default settings I did not perform any operation

I changed the value from EMA1 to 8
EMA2 16

using the period in 5

And now if it is operating, I guess it will be the correct way to configure it, at least I work with those values, I hope it works for you
Gunbot Oficial Store

Offline tammons

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:48:59 AM »
I dont know. I found several places where they say EM1 should be the largest and several others where they say EM2 should be the high number.

It would be nice if they could clarify or explain if they are flipped or flopped or whatever.

Of course it would also be nice if they would just right a good in depth manual.

Offline joeanucha

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 04:52:56 AM »
I found some answers here:

https://github.com/GuntharDeNiro/BTCT/wiki/Candlestick-period

The PERIOD you set for candlesticks in your strategy is very important, since it has a big effect on how EMA1 and EMA2 are calculated. This article provides a really quick overview of what the impact of PERIOD is.

A single candlestick is a visualization of the opening, closing, high and low prices within a certain timeframe. The most common used values for this timeframe (PERIOD) are 5 minutes, 15 minutes and 30 minutes. The closing price of each candlestick is used for calculating EMA1 and EMA2.

Using shorter candlesticks results in more price movement around EMA, this can be great for trading, but also be risky because you are fixated on short term trends only.

In the image below, you can see the effect on EMA (the green and red lines) when using different candlestick sizes, while keeping other variables the same.

Offline zardo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »
Just in case, i found this very good post about gunbot and EMA1/EMA2. Helped me a lot.

https://gunbot.io/how-gunbot-works/