Username: Password:

Poll

Do you support adding configurable options based on the ideas below?

Yes
4 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: May 04, 2017, 06:47:29 PM

Author Topic: Suggestion on How to Reduce Bagholding - Poll for Support  (Read 9334 times)

Offline Kuriso

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Suggestion on How to Reduce Bagholding - Poll for Support
« on: April 24, 2017, 06:47:29 PM »
I think Gunbot needs a set of configurable options that would automatically change your strategy based on market conditions.  I prefer to be more conservative in my trades.  I'd rather miss a pump than get stuck in the dump.  The suggestion below is based on how I manually trade coins.  My manual account has 0 bags while my 3 bot test accounts are full of bags. 

There are two primary scenarios that cause bagholding
1) alt up because of pump
2) btc up which will drive alts down   

Scenario 1: a coin rises 10,15, 20%+, then dumps triggering a buy at too high of a level. 

A coin that is up 20% and then drops 5% can trigger a buy, depending on config of course.  Then if/when it falls some more, you are left bagholding.  Here is an example for one of my bags.  On 4/17 AMP went from 94xx to 116xx.  It was over a 20% increase at one point that day.  It then started to dump.  The bot bought into one of the dumps which has left me bagholding ever since.

One way to handle this is to allow us to configure an option to say, when BTC_XXX is up by x%, reduce buy amount by x%, increase buy level by x% and reduce sell level by x%.  These settings will override the primary configs.  Potential settings can then say, if BTC_AMP is up by 10% or more for the day, reduce the amount the bot buys by 50%, increase the buy level to 10% and decrease sell level to 1%. 

We can then use a "double down" option that says if price decreases by x% from last purchase price, max buy x.xxbtc worth.  Then tell the bot to sell based on an average price plus x%.  This option should be separate from anything above.

Scenario 2: bitcoin is up 10% or more for the day and 15% up for the week causing alts to bleed.

Generally speaking, when bitcoin goes up alts go down.  I would like to see a similar option as above but dedicated to bitcoin.  If bitcoin is up 10%, wait for BTC_XXX to fall x%, reduce buy amount by x%, increase buy level by x% and reduce sell level by x%.  We then have the same double down option above.  Buy more if price goes down more.

The goal here is minimize bags while attempting to make strategic trades based on market conditions.  Buy less, at a lower point and sell quick for a quick profit.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:54:53 PM by Kuriso »

Offline gionni

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion on How to Reduce Bagholding - Poll for Support
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
I would be happy with a simpler double config, one for positive/bullish market, one for downtrend

Offline Snail2

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
I think the best way to reduce bagholding would be that if the application could check Bollinger bands before buying. If the price is over the upper band then stay away, if the price lower than the low band then buy a lot. That would maximize profit and minimize bagholding (AKA loss) on a hectic market.

Offline Clannad

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 10:30:28 PM »
Hi Kuriso,

I gotta agree with you and looking for solutions to this bagholding issue...

Here's some decent suggestion to mitigate the problem:
https://gunthy.org/index.php?topic=223.0