Username: Password:

Author Topic: What to do in Steep Downward Trends (bb)?  (Read 6351 times)

Offline srfnmnk

• Rookie
    • View Profile
What to do in Steep Downward Trends (bb)?
« on: January 10, 2018, 04:44:16 PM »
With the BTC-USD market banging around on the support line I'm wondering if this starts to become a more common chart; especially if the market turns bearish.

I'm curious as to what the bot would do in the attached scenario with a BB strategy and the following non-default parameters. Notice that the highs rarely hit the SMA (band midpoint) and since my stop_limit is set to the default of 60 I don't think the bot would have sold for a loss in this scenario. What's a good way to defend against this down-slope and not wind up with a bag and/or money tied up for days-on-end?

Thank you.

LOW_BB = 25
HIGH_BB = 40
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:55:55 PM by srfnmnk »

Offline sloaleks

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: What to do in Steep Downward Trends (bb)?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:31:03 AM »
Disable buy until it is over, if you catch it on time. If the bot already bought, several options, but in general you're screwed for some time.

Offline srfnmnk

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

That's what I figured. I did do a little science project replaying what would have happened if I used some buy down options and it can get expensive fast but I think I found a way that will work in most scenarios. If it goes to zero...well...you're hosed and good thing you have a stop loss I suppose.

Offline sloaleks

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:08:51 PM »
well, I tried stop loss in the earlier versions, found out it was not really dependable.