Username: Password:

Author Topic: Question about 'unstucking' the bot in a downtrend  (Read 6327 times)

Offline jsam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Question about 'unstucking' the bot in a downtrend
« on: March 20, 2018, 09:23:04 PM »
I was doing a simulation with Allanster TSSL tuner and got this graph, where after a certain buy followed by a prolonged dip in price, the bot seems to be stuck not buying anything else and misses out on a lot of trading opportunities:
https://imgur.com/a/NT5S0

Is this the correct behaviour of the bot and how can I make sure it 'resets' and keeps trading during the downtrend?

How does the double up setting affects this behaviour?

Thanks.

Offline sloaleks

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Question about 'unstucking' the bot in a downtrend
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 07:33:46 AM »
What you have is a bag. Bags will happen, because the bots TA factors on the most used strategies are a bit too simple to prevent this. OTOH, if you set the strats too conservative, you may never get a buy, and without buying there can be no profit.
Double up has never played out well for me, so If I get a bag, I generally put it in a wallet and wait for better times. I replenish the lost capital and watch more closely my pair selection for a while.

Offline jsam

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
So the bot will in fact NOT buy anymore in a situation like this without Double Up?

Offline tammons

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 02:59:12 PM »
Correct. When the price is down for a pair, (and or if the gain conditions are not met) and if you don't have double up enabled, the bot wont buy anymore.

You have a few ways out if you don't have double up enabled.

Double up manually, using some type of fundamental.
Dump your bags at a loss, and then let the bot buy again
I personally hate selling at a big loss, but sometimes it is necessary, because you will get stuck, eventuially.

This bot is not perfect, not even close, and you have to monitor it closely, and make sure all the settings are the best they can be for the conditions and the specific pair.

As usual, the real trick is catching the bottom on buys and avoiding getting stuck and knowing when to sell.
From my short time playing with Altcoins, there are some coins that tank really hard, fast and deep. And at times they all tank hard, but the ones to trade are coins that recover well, obviously.

The problem with automatic DU is that you need big reserves, and you need to DU a large amount. To get out without a loss, IMO you need the first DU to be near the bottom of a short trend, and it needs to be about 4x at least but that can vary. That said, if you miss and DU too soon, with a too high DU price, then you are sort of screwed if the price continues to fall.

With altcoins, the market is so volatile with buyers pumping coins etc, that predictability is very difficult.

I am also stuck right now.