Username: Password:

Author Topic: Periods for calculating SMA. Use same value as on exchange chart  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Jelpogan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Hi All,

This appears on multiple strategies and is defaulted to 50.    Two questions

1) Why does the mouse over, on the strategies screen, say to use the "same value as on the chart?"
2) Day traders generally will have a shorter SMA value.  Considering the volatility and robot trades, what thought on this being much lower at say 5, 10 or 15?

Thanks!
Jela

Offline despe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Periods for calculating SMA. Use same value as on exchange chart
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:38:20 AM »
I was asking myself the same question today.

Offline Jelpogan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Periods for calculating SMA. Use same value as on exchange chart
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:57:56 AM »
A little more research and thinking on this and..  the SMA is actually calculated over the period that you define further up the settings (see image) in period.   The default for me was 15 for period meaning my candlesticks are at 15 minute interval.

So if you have an SMA of 50 and your period up the page is 15, as in candlesticks that are set at 15 minute periods, then you are calculating an SMA over 50 periods X 15 minutes candlesticks.  Said another way, your Simple Moving Average will be the average of 50 periods.  Each period is 15 minutes.   

Obviously this is just part of the math, the meaning and implication of changing them comes next.

Good luck.

Jelapogan (Day 2)