Username: Password:

Author Topic: BB levels and buy/sell levels  (Read 8774 times)

Offline makamilman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
BB levels and buy/sell levels
« on: September 19, 2017, 01:54:25 PM »
Trying to figure settings and the meaning of the actions of the bot.

Running BB for buy and Stepgain for sell. Lower BB set to 35%. When looking at the right window of the bot, it's telling me that "low BB at 0.00261563 and High BB at 0.00264656." That seems fine and looks right.

But below it's telling me "Last Price 0.00262895  - Price to buy: 0.002551958... Price to Sell: 0.0027507462."

Why is my "Price  to  buy" lower than the BB? Am I reading it wrong that the 35% means lower than the lower band? I thought it was about it.
Please see below.

[ —2017/09/19 05:42:21--Bittrex--BTC_OMG — Gunbot v3.3 Night Vision —------ ]

Low Bollinger Band 0.00261637 — High Bollinger Band 0.00264886

Last Price: 0.00263 —— Price to buy: 0.002553633586111111 —— Price to sell: 0.0027507462
Last buy order price: 0.00269681 —- Security Margin: 0.001078724
Gunbot callback at 2017/09/19 05:42:21
Gunbot status:price too high > last price is too high
--------------------------
need faster: no
need slower: no
Session trades:
Last BUY order:Never
Last SELL order:Never
Total Profit BTC:0.00000000

Offline HDcrypto

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: BB levels and buy/sell levels
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:30:05 PM »
Having the same issue with 3.3.2  :(
It looks like BB is simply ignored. Buy point is exactly the value entered at buy level. Any suggestions?

Offline paramecie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:33:54 PM »
IF I understood well, it won't buy even being in the LowBB zone if the price isn't below EMA% - which is the parameter GAIN/BUY_LEVEL I think?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:42:07 PM by paramecie »

Offline oaomcg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 01:52:49 AM »
The %GAIN and BUY LEVEL settings override the BB settings
It's not intuitive or explained anywhere other than when someone asks this question

Offline HDcrypto

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 09:10:41 PM »
My problem is the fact gunbot seems to ignore BB at all.

-> It won't buy if price isn't below specified %EMA even if lowBB is reached. Makes sense and I'm totally fine with it.  :)
-> If specified %EMA is reached it will buy - no matter what lowBB says. Extremely bad if you have entered a pretty small BuyLevel %EMA to make a high number of small trades in a stable  sideway movement and the coin drops for some reason. Instead of going as low as possible (lowBB and trendwatcher) Gunbot will just buy at %EMA and the result is a really nice new bag   :'(

Check your buy-trades during the last dip yesterday. Show EMA. Mark the buy-point. measure the distance to EMA in % - voila: exact buy-level.  It's quite depressing.

Offline paramecie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 12:45:02 AM »
My problem is the fact gunbot seems to ignore BB at all.

I don't defend GB as it has a lot of problems and things to be fixed...

BUT your very first problem here is that you don't know GB's BBs, which are different from Bittrex or Polo's ones.

In short trying to think how it works using your market place tool is a no-go, very sorry.

So many posts in forum about this... please search.
Start slow. One stable or climbing pair.
GB is NOT a fast earn system, it's for sure a LONG learning curve, with *maybe* a profit somewhere, later.

Please also understand you can (and should) be happy of a 1% profit made, but if Bitcoin loose 10% (vs fiat) like today... then you've to be ULTRA patient.

Good luck.

Offline HDcrypto

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 12:55:10 PM »
Thanks, I'm totally aware of all the things you pointed out and very thankful for every suggestion. I just want to understand GB better. Please let me ask you this:

1.) Although the EMA & BB settings of Bittrex and GB might not be totally identical it has to be possbile to check, what GB does.  Why are GB's calculations such a black box? I searched this forum right after purchasing GB to get an answer for one easy question: What values do I have to put in Bittrex Studies (BB/EMA) to see at least a similar result as GB's internal calculations. Could'nt find anything except wild speculations with very different opinions. You're very welcome to proof me wrong and provide the settings.

2.) What makes you think I'm not patient and trading very carefully? Only thing I said is, that GB seems to use the BuyLevel Override all the time (like simple GAIN strategy - and that is the whole point of makamilman's first post). How elso could there be a "Price to buy" that is extremely below lowBB? I'm not talking about a minor difference. Just test it with any coin you want: Set strategy to BB. Choose a crazy high buylevel. Let GB finish the BB calculation and check the "price to buy". Is it within a value you can blame on different BB calculations or is "buylevel" simply a hard override? Please let me know your result - I am really curious.

In v3.2 there is a written explanation which I understand as "value is used in GAIN or until BB is calculated. After BB is calculated, lowBB% should stronger than buylevel).

Offline paramecie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 01:25:46 PM »
> Although the EMA & BB settings of Bittrex and GB might not be totally identical it has to be possbile to check, what GB does.  Why are GB's calculations such a black box? I searched this forum right after purchasing GB to get an answer for one easy question: What values do I have to put in Bittrex Studies (BB/EMA) to see at least a similar result as GB's internal calculations. Could'nt find anything except wild speculations with very different opinions.

Yes, it's complicated. Start here:
https://gunthy.org/index.php/topic,1417.0
I posted there a link to:
https://www.tradingview.com/script/OZeGGswT-Bollinger-Bands-Explorer/

One of the problem ("black box") is that GB works using 15' candlesticks - and when you're watching a price on a marketplace you usually want to have a shorter view, like 5 to 1 minute. Then it's impossible to have the same curves. Even with 15' that seems difficult.

And anyway - AFAIK, GB makes fine BBs, that's all I care.

>Only thing I said is, that GB seems to use the BuyLevel Override all the time (like simple GAIN strategy - and that is the whole point of makamilman's first post). How elso could there be a "Price to buy" that is extremely below lowBB?

Yes it does.
Read this ones for example?
https://gunthy.org/index.php/topic,1427.0.html
https://gunthy.org/index.php/topic,1424.0.html
https://gunthy.org/index.php/topic,1449.0.html

Offline RedQueen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »
I CANNOT figure out how to get GB to use anything besides Gain.

I have let it sit for hrs collecting data.
I have tried high volatility coins to make sure the bands where not tight.
Also tried ascending, descending, and sideways moving coins.
I put the BB at 0% and the buy price will not line up with the low BB stated in the window.

It seems the only way to change the buy price is to change the gains settings.

If anyone can clarify better than what I have already seen on the forums that would be awesome. Im using v3.3.2 as well.

Also, if anyone can tell my why 5.04 wont accept my api? I can't even change to a different version to try n see if BB will work!  :-\

Thanks!

Offline sloaleks

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 07:40:26 AM »

Also, if anyone can tell my why 5.04 wont accept my api? I can't even change to a different version to try n see if BB will work!  :-\

Thanks!

For versions 501 and higher you need to get your API key approved/validated from Gunthar, even if you are a current license holder. You need to PM him with your API key and wait for the reply.

Offline nicmo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 04:47:32 AM »
Pretty sure I saw mentioned somewhere that it will default to using the %GAIN and Buy level settings if the bot hasn't collected/calculated the Bollinger Band info yet..?

I've also noticed the bot trying to buy below the Low Bollinger Band amount it is showing, as well as trying to sell above the High Bollinger Band that the bot shows. It's not always, but it seems like more and more over the last week or so. For a while, it seemed like it was performing according to the logic/strategy settings I chose in the bot.

As far as Bittrex settings and getting the BB to match what Gunboat says... I've been using the default BB settings on Bittrex, but changing candlestick period to 15 minutes, and it often seems to be right on with what Gunbot says...sometimes not so much...